The Islamabad High Court dismissed on Tuesday an appeal filed against Shia Ulea Council’s chief and renowned scholar Allama Sajid Ali Naqvi in the case of murder of Deobandi takfiri terrorist outfit Sipah-e-Sahaba’s slain leader Azam Tariq.
“There is no substance in the evidence and the counsel is relying upon presumptions; therefore, the appeal is dismissed,” stated the two-member bench of Justices Noor ul Haq Qureshi and Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui after hearing the appeal of another Deobandi takfiri leader M Alam Tariq against the verdict of a Rawalpindi anti-terrorism court (ATC).
The bench ordered issuing notices to the two innocent Shia Muslims Muhammad Ali and Mudassir Ali, implicated in the false case but they have already been acquitted by the ATC.
Banned Sipah-e-Sahaba (ASWJ)’s leader Azam Tariq and four of his bodyguards were shot dead in their car in Islamabad on October 6, 2003.
Petitioners’ counsel Basharatullah Khan said two witnesses from Jhang had said in their statements that the plan to murder Azam Tariq was hatched by Allama Naqvi, former MNA Amanullah Sial and some other people at the residence of former Jamaat-e-Islami chief Qazi Hussain Ahmed. Interestingly Qazi Hussain Ahmed was also a Deobandi scholar.
It was revealed during cross-examination that the witnesses had arrived at Qazi Ahmed’s residence at around 11:30am, but the meeting had been conducted at around 9pm, said the bench.
The court observed that it was not possible that such a sensitive conspiracy was hatched in such a public place and especially before the two witnesses. It seems completely unnatural, said the bench.
Subsequently, the court dismissed the appeal against Allama Naqvi. The plea to call the main accused was allowed and notices were issued in this regard.