A car bomb attack rocked the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on Monday night, killing 28 people at least, including eight women, according to local medics.
The so-called ‘Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant’ (ISIL) takfiri group claimed the attack that targeted two Ansarullah chief brothers Faysal and Hamid Jayache during a gathering to mourn the death of a family member, a security source said.
In a statement posted online, ISIL said it had organized the attack on what it called a “Shiite nest” in the Yemeni capital. The takfiri group claimed earlier a car bombing on June 20 against a Shiite mosque in Sanaa that killed two and wounded 16 and another series of attacks in the Yemeni capital four days earlier that killed 31.
The terrorist organization , which marked the first anniversary of its self-declared “caliphate” in Iraq and Syria on Monday, has been ramping up deadly attacks in Yemen since March.
Yemen has been under brutal aggression by Saudi-US coalition since Saudi Arabia launched a wide military campaign against its southern neighbor on March 26 without a UN mandate.
The aggression is assisted by the nonstop terrorist blasts carried out by ISIL sleeper cells against civilians and worshippers throughout Yemen.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), over 2,600 people have lost their lives during the war on Yemen till June 14, with the vast majority of them were civilians.