According to Zamen Pouya, the governor of the Kajran district of Daykundi, the terrorists abducted 20 drivers and passengers belonging to Balouch ethnic group on Sunday, state-funded BBC Persian reported on Wednesday.
The kidnapped individuals were later transferred to the neighboring province of Urozgan, the local official added.
He also said that Kajran has been the scene of fierce clashes between Afghan security forces and Taliban terrorists for around 10 days, calling on the central government to deploy more troops to the violence-wracked district.
The security forces in Kajran are now in a defensive posture and Taliban terrorists may take over the district, he warned.
The new developments came days after Lieutenant General Murad Ali Murad, the deputy chief of staff of the Afghan National Army, said that Taliban militants have intensified their attacks in Daykundi in a bid to pressure the army into ceasing its anti-terror operations in the southern province of Helmand.
The terrorists want to push the Afghan army to deploy more troops in Daykundi so that the army has to leave the Helmand operations unfinished, he stated.
Back in February, unidentified gunmen carried out an attack on Kabul-Qandahar highway, kidnapping 30 passengers from mostly Shia Hazara community.
The government has so far failed to obtain any information on the whereabouts and fate of the abducted passengers.
The United States and its allies invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of Washington’s so-called war on terror. The offensive removed Taliban from power, but insecurity still remains in some provinces.
The US-led combat mission in Afghanistan ended on December 31, 2014. However, at least 13,500 foreign forces, mainly from the US, have remained in the country in what Washington calls a support mission.
NATO says the forces will focus mainly on counterterrorism operations and training Afghan soldiers and policemen.