Bahraini security forces have arrested three suspects in connection with the recent bomb attack on a mosque in Riffa, the kingdomâ€™s second largest city.
Public Security Chief Major General Tariq Al Hassan said on Monday that the suspects were captured after police analyzed CCTV footage recorded at the site of the bomb blast which reportedly bore no casualties.
He also said that the fingerprints and DNA samples of the arrestees proved that they were involved in the terror act in the mosque parking lot late on July 17 when worshipers were inside for evening prayers.
Tariq Al Hassan went on to say that the investigation showed â€œtwo gas cylinders were remotely detonated through the use of a mobile phone and that the cylinders were supported by a tank that contained flammable liquid to increase the power of the explosion.â€
The Bahraini government had earlier accused the opposition of having orchestrated the blast.
The opposition, however, said the incident was part of a campaign by the Manama regime to tarnish the image of the opposition ahead of a planned anti-regime protest on August 14, the date marking the withdrawal of British forces from the Persian Gulf country back in 1971.
Bahrain has been the scene of demonstrations since mid-February 2011. Thousands of pro-democracy protesters have staged numerous demonstrations in the streets of Bahrain, calling for the Al Khalifa family to relinquish power.
Following the eruption of the protests, the Bahraini regime promptly launched a brutal crackdown on the peaceful protests and called in Saudi-led Arab forces from neighboring states to assist with the suppression.
Dozens of Bahraini people have been killed in the crackdown, and the security forces have arrested hundreds, including doctors and nurses.