A senior Iranian diplomat has criticized as “unacceptable” the silence of certain countries vis-a-vis Saudi Arabia’s incessant airstrikes on Yemen and the Riyadh regime’s blockade of the war-hit Arab country.
Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, the deputy foreign minister for Arab and African affairs, said on Saturday that Saudi Arabia’s focus on its war against Yemen only benefits the Israeli regime and terrorist groups.
He reaffirmed Iran’s call for a diplomatic solution to the Yemeni crisis, saying, “Tehran supports Yemeni-Yemeni dialog [to be held] in a venue agreed upon by all Yemeni groups, and rejects any foreign interference in this country.”
Stressing that security in Yemen is intertwined with that of the Middle East region and Iran, Amir-Abdollahian warned that “we will not allow anybody play with our common security through adventurous measures.”
“Gone is the era of such adventurous measures,” he said, calling on the regional governments to think about regional security and playing a constructive role in it.
Saudi Arabia is continuing its brutal airstrikes against Yemen despite the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the impoverished Arab country.
Riyadh launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a United Nations mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Riyadh.
Saudi Arabia has been also blocking aid to Yemen.
Last month, Saudi Arabia prevented two Iranian civilian planes from delivering medical aid and foodstuff to the Yemeni people.