Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir Abdollahian and Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir in a meeting in Jeddah exchanged views over regional developments, specially in Yemen.
“During the meeting certain regional issues were came under consultation and (both sides’) views were stated transparently and explicitly,” Amir Abdollahian told reporters after the meeting which was held on the sidelines of the extraordinary meeting of the Islamic Cooperation Organization (ICO)’s ministers to find a diplomatic solution to the crisis in Yemen on Tuesday.
“During the meeting, in addition to emphasizing the unfruitfulness of the military approach in the region, Iran’s view about the need for distancing the region from war and strengthening the political process was again underlined and it was announced that talks and effective cooperation is the most important factor to get rid of the regional problems and reaching sustainable collective security,” he added.
“It was also announced in the meeting that all will benefit from a constructive political approach and security in the region,” Amir Abdollahian said.
According to the Iranian deputy foreign minister, Jubeir, for his part, underscored the necessity for talks among all countries and cooperation among all sides to establish security in the region.
Amir Abdollahian took part in the one-day meeting of the ICO on Yemen that was held simultaneously with the UN-led national talks in the Swiss city of Geneva over the same issue.
Last Wednesday, Amir Abdollahian, in a phone conversation with UN Secretary General’s Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Valad Sheikh Ahmad, called on the world body to enhance efforts to end the Saudi-led airstrikes against the Yemeni nation.
During the phone conversation, Amir Abdollahian expressed regret that the Saudi attacks still continue even on the threshold of the holy month of Ramadan.
Sheikh Ahmad, for his part, appreciated Iran and its consultations with the UN, and voiced concern about the continued military attacks and the delay in the establishment of ceasefire in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for 84 days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.
Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
The Monarchy’s attacks have so far claimed the lives of at least 4,618 civilians, mostly women and children.