A source from the mobilization forces in Anbar province has denied withdrawal of paramilitary troops from the border region between Iraq and Syria.
Speaking to Almaalomah website, the source said “the news circulated on withdrawal of al-Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization Forces) from their deployment regions near the Iraqi-Syrian borders after the troops were targeted in Syria are untrue.”
The forces, according to the source “are deployed in the western region of the province. No withdrawal took place there, despite the tension that resulted after Israeli fighter jets shelled PMFs in Syria near borders with Iraq.”
All the military units are deployed at the border region and are fighting to eliminate presence of IS members there, the source added.
In a statement on Monday, the Iraqi Military said troops on borders with Syria were not shelled by the U.S.-led Coalition troops, while other forces that were shelled were 1500 kilometers in the depth of Syria land.
Earlier on the same day, al-Hashd al-Shaabi (Popular Mobilization Forces) said up to 34 fighters of its members were killed and wounded Sunday after the U.S.-led international coalition targeted a military outpost in the Syrian city of Al-Bu Kamal.
The Iraqi-Syrian borders are under the control of joint troops of military and border guards.