Saudi-allied former former Mufti of Rashaya Sheikh Bassam al-Tarras was released from Lebanese prison despite his involvement in a bomb blast in Zhale last month.
Shiite News monitoring desk reported that Lebanese Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk admitted he got Sheikh released.
Security forces apprehended the former mufti Sunday for his involvement in the case.
Sunday night, the Muslim Scholars Committee – a Saudi-backed Salafist organization – cut off the Barr Elias-Masnaa road in east Lebanon and threatened to escalate protests if he was not released.
General Security said in its statement that prior to his arrest, Tarras had met with the two terrorists in custody, as well as a fugitive called Abu al-Baraa who is thought to be hiding in Turkey. The General Security statement explained that Tarras was released but remains under investigation and his passport has been held.
The agency added that the target of the bombing were vehicles heading to a commemoration in southern Lebanon to mark the anniversary of the disappearance of Amal Movement founder Imam Musa Sadr in 1978, a renowned revolutionary Shia cleric of Lebanon.
Security forces said the terrorists decided to plant the device near a speed-bump where cars were expected to slow down.
On the eve of Aug. 31, they planted the device and hid it with tree branches.