Authorities in Kuwait say they have busted a “terror cell” involved in a recent deadly bombing at a Shia mosque in Kuwait City.
Kuwait’s Interior Minister Sheikh Mohammad Khaled al-Sabah made the announcement in parliament a few days after the June 26 bombing which claimed the lives of nearly 30 people in the capital.
“We are in a state of war. Yes, we have busted this terror cell but there are other cells we are going to strike,” the Kuwaiti minister said.
Sabah, who is also Kuwait’s foreign minister, added that the country had revised “all security measures, especially near the mosque and all places of worship.”
The Takfiri ISIL militants claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
The Kuwaiti Interior Ministry had earlier said that the individual who carried out the attack against the mosque was Saudi national Fahd Suleiman Abdulmohsen al-Qaba’a.
Kuwaiti authorities said Qaba’a had entered Kuwait from Bahrain, earlier in the day. Saudi Arabia says it has no records of the man.
More than 220 people were also injured in the bomb attack, which was carried out in al-Sawabir, a busy residential and shopping district of the capital.