Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 The Taliban terrorists claimed responsibility on Wednesday for the suicide attack on an Ashura procession which killed 43 people in Karachi and injured 80 others. The terrorist organisation threatened more attacks over the next 10 days. The claim was made by one of the countryâ€™s most wanted commanders of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). â€œWe carried out the suicide bombing in Karachi,â€ Asmatullah Shaheen, a top militant commander based in South Waziristan, told news agencies by telephone from an undisclosed location. â€œWe will carry out more such attacks and also target government installations.â€ The government announced a Rs10 million bounty for Shaheen when it published a list last month of 19 most-wanted TTP warlords, for whom it offered combined rewards equivalent to five million dollars. Shaheen does not normally claim responsibility for attacks on behalf of the militants. But he said that Mondayâ€™s bombing had been assigned to his group, and so he was making the claim. However, investigators in Karachi are not ready to believe it was a suicide attack and have called in their NWFP counterparts to help them determine the nature and make of the explosives used in the bombing. Although Karachi city police chief Waseem Ahmed has set up two teams with different tasks related to investigations, he said he had sent an urgent request to the NWFP police chief to send in a team of experts who could help determine the nature of the blast. â€œSeveral aspects need to be checked thoroughly and until that (is done) we cannot say with authority anything about the (blastâ€™s) execution,â€ said Mr Ahmed.
September 22, 2020