Senate Chairman Raza Rabbani has sought a policy statement from Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal in the Senate on Friday regarding a disclosure by his predecessor, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, about an alleged threat to the country’s security.
During the course of the Senate proceedings on Wednesday, Mr Rabbani referred to the matter raised in the house a day earlier by Leader of the Opposition Barrister Aitzaz Ahsan.
He said according to the former interior minister, only four people in Pakistan were aware of the alleged serious threat — they did not include the incumbent prime minister.
While winding up a discussion on an adjournment motion regarding the disappearance of a former army officer, retired Col Habib, from Nepal allegedly by Indian forces, Law Minister Zahid Hamid informed the house that India had expressed its inability to do anything about the ‘abduction’, saying that the incident had taken place in Nepal.
He said the matter had been raised with India and their response, expressing their inability to help, had been received on May 22 and June 13. He said retired Col Habib had gone missing in Lumbini, Nepal, bordering India. Retired Col Habib had been apparently offered a job via a United Kingdom telephone number, which was found to be a fake and had, in fact, been routed through a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) facility.
The fake company — digirock — had used a bogus website, which has now been taken down, to lure the former army officer to Nepal, Mr Hamid said. The website was being operated from India, he added. The law minister said that retired Col Habib had been received at the airport in Nepal by an Indian national, while the hotel and ticket.