Five highly trained Taliban terrorists killed in Peshawar gunfight

Five highly trained takfiri terrorists of outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) were gunned down in an encounter with police and army in Hayatabad Peshawar where they were holed up in a house. The entire building was reduced to ground due to blast. The gunbattle lasted for 17 hours.
City police chief Qazi Jamil-ur-Rehman told reporters that it was a major operation in which a terrorist was killed a day earlier, while four others were killed on Tuesday.
One police officer Assistant Sub-Inspector Qamar Alam embraced martyrdom while trying to enter the house. Two security personnel and two civilians, including a woman, were injured during the gunfight that started at 7.30pm on Monday evening as police tried to enter the house in E-sector, Phase-VII Hayatabad, during an intelligence-based operation (IBO).
A terrorist was also killed during an initial exchange of fire that triggered a fierce gunfight which continued till the killing of the four remaining terrorists around Tuesday noon.
The TTP said in an email message issued here claimed that six of its members were involved in the gunfight with law enforcement personnel.
Peshawar Police chief said the militants were holed up in the house and were opening fire whenever security personnel tried to enter the house. He said city police units, army’s Special Services Group and 102 Brigade personnel had taken part in the operation.
The Inter-Services Public Relations said in a statement that the army and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police had conducted a joint IBO in Hayatabad against a terrorist hideout. It said that during the exchange of fire five terrorists were killed, while a police officer lost his life, adding that the bodies of the terrorists had been recovered and their identities were being ascertained.
The Bomb Disposal Unit during the clearance found an explosives-rigged bike on the ground floor, which was connected with explosive materials planted in the basement of the house. The BDU destroyed the bike with an explosive charge, which brought down the two-storey house, sending a plume of thick dust into the rain-soaked air of the neighbourhood.
“The house and bike were rigged with about 60kg explosives, which had been destroyed with a 250-gram explosive charge,” BDU chief AIG Shafqat Malik said.


Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker