Yemeni army soldiers, supported by allied fighters from Popular Committees, have launched an attack against a military base in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern Jizan region in retaliation for the Riyadh regime’s atrocious military campaign against their impoverished homeland.
The media bureau of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement released video footage on Tuesday, showing Yemeni troops and their allies targeting vehicles at Awjebah base with a domestically-developed combat drone and a salvo of artillery rounds.
Yemeni soldiers and Popular Committees fighters also fired a Zelzal-1 (Earthquake-1) ballistic missile and several artillery rounds at the gathering of Saudi-paid militiamen loyal to Yemen’s resigned president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi east of al-Nar mountain in the northern Yemeni province of Hajjah.
An unspecified number of Saudi mercenaries were killed and injured in the process.
Also on Tuesday, Yemeni snipers shot and killed five Saudi border guards on the outskirts of MBC mountain in Saudi Arabia’s Jizan region.
‘Saudi-led coalition violated Hudaydah truce over 470 times’
Meanwhile, the spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces says the Saudi-led military coalition has on more than 437 occasions breached a UN-brokered truce in the strategic port city of Hudaydah over the past 72 hours.
During a press conference in the capital city of Sana’a on Tuesday, Brigadier General Yahya Saree said Saudi troops and their mercenaries have lobbed a total of 316 mortar shells at various residential neighborhoods of Hudaydah during the mentioned period.
The top Yemeni military official highlighted that the Saudi-led military coalition carried out 63v airstrikes on different Yemeni regions over the past three days.
Saudi Arabia and a number of its regional allies launched a devastating military campaign against Yemen in March 2015, with the aim of bringing Hadi’s government back to power and crushing the country’s Houthi Ansarullah movement.
According to a new report by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), a nonprofit conflict-research organization, the Saudi-led war has so far claimed the lives of around 56,000 Yemenis.
The Saudi-led war has also taken a heavy toll on the country’s infrastructure, destroying hospitals, schools, and factories. The UN has already said that a record 22.2 million Yemenis are in dire need of food, including 8.4 million threatened by severe hunger. According to the world body, Yemen is suffering from the most severe famine in more than 100 years.
A number of Western countries, the US and Britain in particular, are also accused of being complicit in the ongoing aggression as they supply the Riyadh regime with advanced weapons and military equipment as well as logistical and intelligence assistance.