World

Six Dead in Shooting at Mosque in Quebec

At least six people were killed and eight were wounded after a shooting at a mosque in Quebec City during evening prayers, police said.

Gunmen fired on about 40 people inside the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday at 8pm local time (01:00 GMT).

Police said two suspects had been arrested.

The mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, was not inside the mosque at the time of the shooting. He received frantic calls from worshippers.

He said: “Why is this happening here? This is barbaric.”

he said: “One of the administrators called me and said there was a shooting at the mosque. I am still in shock. I ran to the mosque … I was told that one attacker was arrested at the scene while another one was arrested nearby.”

‘A terrorist attack on Muslims’

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the shooting as a “terrorist attack on Muslims in a centre of worship and refuge”.

Philippe Couillard, premier of Quebec, said on Twitter that the attack “is a terrorist act”, and called for “solidarity with Quebecers of the Muslim faith”.

The mosque leader Yangui added that the mosque had not received any threats immediately before the attack.

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker