The government of UK Prime Minister Theresa May is scrapping a scheme to resettle child refugees, withdrawing a pledge to let in thousands of the vulnerable children.
UK immigration secretary Robert Goodwill said Wednesday that London was ending the so-called “Dubs” program this March, adding that the country was feeling “proud” after resettling 350 children.
Introduced by Labour peer Lord Alfred Dubs in May last year, the program was an amendment to the country’s Immigration Bill that required then Prime Minister David Cameron to reportedly accept 3,000 children from North Africa and Middle East.
Surviving deadly conflicts and braving what London called back then a “lethal” journey, the unaccompanied children were registered in Greece, Italy or France.
In reality, however, , only about 200 children have entered the UK after the plan took effect in October. Another 150 are expected to enter the country before the scheme ends.
“[The] UK has a proud history of providing protection for those in need, including some of the most vulnerable children affected by the migration crisis,” Goodwill said.
“The government’s strategy is to support international efforts to find a comprehensive and sustainable solution to the refugee crisis; we must deal with its root causes, as well as respond to the consequences,” he added.