The United Nations called Monday for an inquiry into last week’s attack on a boat off Yemen’s coast that killed 44 people, mostly Somali refugees.
“Many questions remain unanswered on the circumstances of this horrific event,” the head of the UN refugee agency, Filippo Grandi, said in a statement.
“We call on all parties to the conflict to make proper inquiries to ensure accountability and to prevent this from happening again,” he added.
Saudi Arabia, which has been leading a military aggression against Yemen to restore the impoverished country’s former government to power, has been blamed for the killings late last week off the western port city of Hudaydah.
Somalia, which is a member of the coalition fighting the Houthi fighters, has also called for a probe into the raid.
The International Organization for Migration has said it believed the boat was headed for Sudan.