Yemen

Death toll from Saudi strike on Yemen wedding rises to 131

The death toll from a recent Saudi airstrike against a wedding party in Yemen’s southwestern province of Taiz has crossed the one-hundred mark as Riyadh presses ahead with an atrocious military campaign against its troubled southern neighbor.

Local sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said at least 131 civilians lost their lives and many more sustained injuries as Saudi fighter jets hit the celebration in the Mokha port city, situated 346 kilometers (214 miles) south of the capital, Sana’a, on Monday, the Arabic-language al-Masirah satellite television network reported.

Hospital officials also said 70 women are among the victims of the airborne massacre.

Earlier in the day, Saudi warplanes bombarded the al-Baqa district in Yemen’s mountainous northwestern province of Sa’ada, though there were no immediate reports on casualties and the extent of damage caused.

Also on Monday, Saudi military aircraft launched 12 aerial attacks against an area in the Baqim district of the same province, but no casualties were reported.

Meanwhile, there are reports that Saudi jets have dropped cluster munitions on populated areas across the central Yemeni province of Ma’rib. No immediate reports of fatalities were available.

Separately, Saudi warplanes pounded the central security camp in Yemen’s western province of Hudaydah, though no casualties were reported.

Yemeni army troopers, backed by fighters from allied Popular Committees, also stormed a military base in Ma’rib’s western al-Jafina area on Monday, killing an Emirati soldier in the process.

An unspecified number of Saudi-backed soldiers also lost their lives and ten military vehicles went up in flames after Yemeni troops and allied forces mounted an operation in Thatt-Alra area of Ma’rib.

Additionally, Yemeni army soldiers together with Popular Committees fighters fired at least a dozen rockets at a Saudi military base in the kingdom’s border southern region of Jizan. No casualties were reported.

Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a United Nations mandate – in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to fugitive former Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Riyadh.

Over 6,200 Yemenis have reportedly lost their lives in the Saudi airstrikes, and a total of nearly 14,000 people have been injured.

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker