Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement says Saudi Arabia is taking advantage of a ceasefire, under which it is supposed to halt its months-long deadly aggression against its impoverished southern neighbor.
Head of Ansarullah Political Council Saleh Ali al-Sammad said in a statement on Thursday that Riyadh had intensified its bombing of the country, despite the truce that came into effect on Tuesday.
He said Saudi forces had conducted a number of raids against Ma’rib, Ta’izz, and Jawf provinces in western Yemen, adding that the kingdom had repeatedly violated the truce.
Saudi Arabia started military attacks against Yemen in late March in a bid to undermine Ansarullah and bring the fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a Riyadh ally, back to power.
More than 7,500 people have been killed and over 14,000 others injured since March. The strikes have also taken a heavy toll on the impoverished country’s facilities and infrastructure, destroying many hospitals, schools and factories.
Hours after the supposed truce, Ansarullah members and representatives loyal to Hadi started to take part in United Nations-brokered peace talks in Switzerland with the aim of reaching a permanent ceasefire and paving the way for a return to a peaceful political solution to the crisis in the violence-scarred country.
The talks have so far resulted in the exchange of hundreds of prisoners and an agreement on a full and immediate resumption of humanitarian assistance to conflict-stricken areas in southern Yemen.
The Saudi violations threaten to take the fledgling negotiations apart.
Sammad, meanwhile, urged the Yemeni army and its allied forces to continue resistance against the Saudi military campaign.
The forces have been staging retaliatory attacks against the Saudi aggression, reportedly bringing down Saudi aircraft and seizing several villages in the kingdom’s southwest.