A senior Omani official disclosed on Thursday that the US administration has ordered to fugitive former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi to immediately attack Sana’a.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the Omani official told FNA that in a telephone conversation the US administration urged Hadi to take matters into his own hands to, what they called, “liberate Sana’a”.
According to the Omani official, the White House spoke to Hadi without first consulting Riyadh, urging him to come up with some kind of media or psychological warfare and victory.
“This clearly shows Washington is in deep trouble in the ongoing war on Yemen,” he told FNA.
The Omanai official went on to warn that if all fails the US might even decide to take matters into its own hands, sidestep the Saudis, and get involved directly in the war under the pretext of trying to reduce the rising civilian death toll.
The latest revelations come after at least 12 people were killed in two US drone strikes in Yemen’s Southern provinces early on Thursday.
The US carries out drone attacks in Yemen and several other Muslim countries, including Pakistan and Afghanistan. Washington claims the attacks target al-Qaeda militants, but local sources say civilians have been the main victims of the raids.
US drone strikes add further complexity to the convoluted situation in Yemen amid a Saudi war going on in the impoverished country. The Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula has exploited the volatile atmosphere and the breakdown of security in Yemen since the beginning of the Saudi war to tighten its grip on areas in the southeast of the country.
The Takfiri ISIL terrorist group, too, has gained ground in and around the main southern city of Aden.
Ansarullah resistance fighters, along with allied army units, are fighting Takfiri militants as well as Saudi-led forces in the war. Saudi Arabia started the war last March in a bid to bring fugitive former president Hadi back to power.
On Thursday, Saudi warplanes bombarded various areas across the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, killing and injuring an unknown number of people. Saudi assaults have so far claimed the lives of some 8,300 people and injured over 16,000 others in Yemen.