Yemen’s Houthi leader has criticized delegates loyal to Saudi-backed former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi for abandoning UN-brokered Yemen peace talks in Kuwait.
Abdel Malek al-Houthi said Monday that his Ansarullah movement had already signed a ceasefire deal, accusing the other side of stonewalling peace efforts and not abiding by the truce.
He said a political solution to the Yemen conflict is close at hand, but the obstinacy of the invading countries is an impediment to that goal.
Yemen has seen almost daily military attacks by Saudi Arabia since late March 2015, with internal sources putting the toll from the bloody aggression at more than 9,500.
The Saudi-backed representatives suspended their participation in the peace talks on Sunday in protest at Ansarullah’s recent takeover of a military base in the Amran province.
Houthi said Ansarullah representatives attended the talks in a bid to put an end to months of clashes in the impoverished Arab country and establish peace.
Ansarullah spokesman Mohammed Abdulsalam accused the Saudi-backed side of “wasting time” and “fabricating excuses” to continue militancy in Yemen.
“Those who don’t want peace … are the ones who create false justifications and reasons to obstruct the talks,” Abdulsalam wrote on his official Twitter account.